Marvelous Cuenca -4 hours, from Cuenca, Daily Tour
Marvelous Cuenca, 4 hours, daily, from Cuenca
Cuenca is Ecuador’s third largest city; yet it still retains its pleasant provincial air. Its red tiled roofs, cobblestone streets, flowery plazas and museums make it very special. This comprehensive tour includes the Plaza of San Sebastian, a colorful artisans market, where handicrafts are sold.
Day by Day
Cuenca is Ecuador’s third largest city; yet it still retains its pleasant provincial air. Its red tiled roofs, cobblestone streets, flowery plazas and museums make it very special. This comprehensive tour includes the Plaza of San Sebastian, a colorful artisans market, where handicrafts are sold. Then, visit the Museum of Modern Art, featuring an excellent collection of contemporary fine art. The original building was the “House of Temperance” where alcoholics were once shut inside its thick walls in an effort to cure them.
A stop is made at Plaza San Francisco, where small handcraft shops can be visited and the exquisitely embroidered skirts of the cholas are for sale. Next is a visit to the flower market at the small plaza in front of the carved stone entrance to the church of El Carmen de la Asunción. From here, a stroll to the main square, surrounded by the imposing blue-domed Cathedral, the Court of Justice, the Municipal Palace, the Governor’s Palace and the Church of El Sagrario. Also, visit the ruins of Todos Santos, where in different archaeological strata are vestiges of the rough Cañari construction, the classical Inca stone walls without mortar and remains of Spanish arches. Then, a drive along the Tomebamba river to admire the city’s overhanging houses and the laundry spread out to dry on its river banks and a great view of the city from the Hill of Turi.
- Dress in layers (T-shirt, blouse, sweater, coat) and rain protection.
- Sun protection (SPF 40) even if the day is cloudy.
- Hat or cap.
- Good walking shoes.
Average Temperature: Altitude: 2,550 meters (7,750 feet)
Day 10° to 25° C / 50° to 77° F.
Night 6° to 10° C / 43° to 50° F.
- A Walk in the Clouds tour from Quito to Guayaquil 3 days / 2 nights
- Cuenca Scenic Tour with lunch, full day, daily, from Cuenca
- Due South tour from Quito to Cuenca 4 days/3 nights
- El Cajas National Park, full day, daily, includes lunch
- Gualaceo Valley, Chordeleg, full day, from Cuenca, daily, includes lunch
- Ingapirca Inca Fortress Tour (1 day, daily from Cuenca)