ECUADOR CORONAVIRUS TRAVEL UPDATE
Quito, November 12th, 2020
Please find following our latest update regarding entry rules to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands.
GALAPAGOS ISLANDS PCR TEST AGE UPDATE
In order to ensure the safety of our guests and our team members, we would like to let you know that Metropolitan Touring will require travelers to the Galapagos Islands over 12 years of age show proof of a negative PCR Covid-19 test taken within 96 hours of their flight. Our guests can present either their international certificates or those obtained once in Ecuador from certified laboratories. The Ecuadorian authorities stipulate travelers over 18 must present their certificate. However, we feel it is in the best interests of the health and safety of all concerned if younger travelers are tested, too.
In summary, the rules for entering the Galapagos with Metropolitan Touring are as follows:
- A certificate of a negative PCR test taken within 96 hours of their Galapagos flight for travelers over 12 years of age.
- Travel insurance certificate with medical coverage.
- A safe passage (salvoconducto) document, issued at least 24 hours before by the tour operator or hotel.
- The Galapagos Transit Control Card, filled out online at least 24 hours before the flight.
Your Destination Expert will be happy to guide you through all these steps and processes.
ENTRY TO ECUADOR AND ONWARD TRAVEL TO THE GALAPAGOS
The requirements for international flight arrivals to Ecuador are as follows:
- All arrivals must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken no more than 10 days before entering the country (this proof allows them not to fulfill a period of Voluntary Isolation Period (APO) of 10 days).
- Travelers without an international PCR test must undertake, at their own expense, a PCR test upon arrival and then proceed to quarantine in temporary accommodation to await the results. With a negative test result, they may continue their journeys.
- Travelers who present symptoms of COVID upon arrival in Ecuador are required to perform a PCR test at their own expense and proceed to quarantine until their results are available even if they present a negative PCR test at the airport of entry.
- All travelers fill out a Health Status Declaration form, hand it in upon arrival to Ministry of Health workers, who will also check symptoms.
- Even though travelers under 18 do not need to present a PCR test in order to enter the Galapagos, they must present a negative PCR test result in order to enter Ecuador without needing to do an APO.
Please note that international visitors traveling to the Galapagos Islands can use a) their international test certificate they entered Ecuador with, or b) their airport test certificate, provided the tests were taken within 96 hours prior to their Galapagos flight. If the test date is older than this, a further test, carried out by authorized clinics in Ecuador, must be obtained in order to travel to the Galapagos Islands.
All the Galapagos National Park visitor sites, airports and transport have been open and operational since July 13th 2020.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with your Destination Expert if you have any questions or doubts. They’ll be only too happy to help.