THE M/V SANTA CRUZ REFRESHES THE GALÁPAGOS EXPLORATION EXPERIENCE
Our flagship, 90-guest M/V Santa Cruz emerged from its period in dry dock refreshed, revamped and ready to give its passengers an experience of the Galápagos Islands they'll never forget.
Read on for more details!
We have added an extra naturalist guide to the crew - an Underwater Naturalist - who will lead guests by the hand during swimming and snorkelling activities, helping them with masks, snorkels and techniques, and we've added new flotation aids, too. We're confident far more of our guests will enjoy the ship's snorkelling activities, revealing another world of wonder in the Galápagos that they might otherwise have missed.
In order for guests to get closer and understand more about the islands' marine world, the ship now has a hydrophone for listening to the calls of dolphins and whales, as well as a ‘splashcam' video camera which will let us film these creatures in action underwater from the pangas. To record our guests' fun in the water, our high-quality staff camera has an underwater housing - and photos of the expeditions are always shown on the last night before disembarking. The Santa Cruz also has a spotting scope for improved observation of wildlife.
We believe the M/V Santa Cruz to be the best option for family journeys, so we've reinforced our commitment to giving families precious moments to share, explore, learn and have fun together. As part of every journey, we include:
- our "Young Pirates" programme on board with attractive kits full of materials.
- kids' meals and times
- board games and puzzles in the library
- panga rides just for young explorers
- an "introduction to snorkeling for kids" time with our extra naturalist
- bridge visits with the Captain
- interaction with our multimedia tablet.
Santa Cruz Island visits: great alternative activities
We’ve listened to our guests' feedback and have introduced more options for them when visiting Santa Cruz Island. As well as the ´traditional´ visit to the Charles Darwin Research Station (Mondays and Saturdays), guests can choose from the following activities:
- trekking in the highlands
- biking downhill to a secluded beach
- visiting an organic coffee plantation
- walking to Tortuga Bay beach where they can kayak or simply enjoy some down-time.
All of these activities are offered at no additional cost, except for scuba diving.
Refreshed accommodation, dining and relaxing!
We have given the M/V Santa Cruz a stylish make-over, including:
- new carpeting throughout the ship
- renovations in Reception
- new armchairs in the Bar-Salon
- renewed décor and furniture in the Dining Room - plus new crockery and cutlery
- a revamped library-internet room
- new sun loungers on the Sun Deck
- In the cabins, many shine with new wallpaper, while we have replaced all the desk tops, swapped curtains for blinds and brought in off-white sheets, pillow cases and blankets to give a lighter, more spacious feel.
Something for everyone
We are confident these changes and innovations will appeal to a wide range of Galápagos travellers: there are options for the active, fun for families, underwater explorations, expedition equipment... something for everyone. Combine these with the crew's deep sense of service and we feel each and every one of the M/V Santa Cruz's guests will return home enriched, revived and inspired.
Our Galapagos Travel Team consists of a Chief Naturalist and five Naturalists. All will delight guests with diverse natural history explanations, superb on-deck talks, and eye-catching lectures regarding natural history issues. Their multimedia presentations and recaps will complement the day's activities. Together with the Captain, they will plan the day's program. They are masters of Galapagos travel. Soon enough, our Naturalists will become the highlight of your voyage on santa cruz galapagos. At night, when pitch-dark starry skies are seen, stargazing is an amazing nocturnal activity. The southern skies are beautifully arranged with exuberant constellations.